Thursday, July 12, 2012

Apple Inspired Athlete: Beverli Barnes


This week’s Apple Inspired Athlete: Beverli Barnes

City: Vancouver

What’s your current age group? 50-54

What is your occupation? Clothing Designer

How long have you been a triathlete? Since 2007

When was your first Apple? 2007

How many triathlons have you done? 13

What Apple event will you be registering for in 2012?

Olympic


What got you interested in triathlon?

 A friend from spin class

What positive effects has triathlon had on other aspects of your life?

I’ve never been this fit in my life. It got me back into swimming after 30 years! I’ve met some great people and the lifestyle of training and racing is challenging but the rewards are awesome. Getting fitter and faster as I age is fantastic.

How many hours a week do you train?

Depending on the time of year, 5-12 hours

How do you fit it all in?

I work for myself, so I plan my workout schedule first and then coordinate my work day/week. Workouts are usually done first thing in the AM since I’m usually wasted by 3:00 PM. At least if I get my run or bike in early, there is less chance of missing it. I commit to a swim class in the off-season so I actually get in the pool and maintain some sort of technique.

Do you have any specific triathlon goals for 2012?

To place in the top 5 at the Apple in my AG.

What’s your favourite part of the Apple Triathlon?

I really like the swim course and the bike course but the BEST part are the amazing spectators and volunteers who come out every year to cheer us on. I always feel special when I do the APPLE which is all to due with the organization and people who support the event.

Do you use online training resources or have a training blog?

I train with Mark Shorter at Lifesport and use Training Peaks to track my workouts. My partner Deb and I put together our own blogsite about our races.


Any other comments you’d like to make?

Every year I focus on a different element of triathlon. This year it’s the bike and improving my running technique. Last year it was swim technique and faster run times. I find by shifting the focus every year, I don’t get bored but continue to improve as an athlete.

No comments:

Post a Comment