Thursday, July 5, 2012

Apple Inspired Athlete: Ami Catriona


This week's Apple Inspired Athlete Ami Catriona

City: Kelowna

What’s your current age group?  LOL

What is your occupation?  Marketing and Communications Director at Kelowna's Gospel Mission


How long have you been a triathlete? Since 2004


When was your first Apple?  How many triathlons have you done?

2010 - and I've done many races all over the province.

What Apple event will you be registering for in 2012?

Olympic Distance

What got you interested in triathlon?

I had a friend in school who was a triathlete, and thought that'd be cool to try.

What positive effects has triathlon had on other aspects of your life?

WOW - so many!  I am fitter and stronger, and I've met so many wonderful people that are now dear friends. Triathlon is so much a part of my life  - I love it!

How many hours a week do you train? How do fit it all in?

I'm an after work / weekends kind of trainer. You just fit it in - health is a priority for me.

Do you have any specific triathlon goals for 2012?

I am using my training to rehab from a car accident last fall. It has been good for me to have a goal, and focus on my health. It's been a journey.  My big goal is to complete Ironman in 2013.

What’s your favourite part of the Apple Triathlon? 

Again - so many!!  I love the course, the friendly people, the smiling and cheering volunteers, and the fact that I can watch some of the most elite racers in the world compete on the same course!

Have you ever volunteered at the Apple? What was that experience like?

I always try to help when I can. Because I race on the Sunday, I can help out the days beforehand. This year I'm helping on Saturday morning - I love to see the beginners because I remember how nervous and excited I was when I started, and I know many of them are overcoming a personal challenge.

Do you use online training resources or have a training blog?

I keep track of my training in a spread sheet - and I LOVE LOVE LOVE Joe Friel's book “Your Best Triathlon”.

Any other comments you’d like to make? 

Triathlon is a great sport for any age and ability. When I moved to Kelowna I enrolled in a clinic at Fresh Air, and that was great fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment