Thursday, June 7, 2012

Apple Inspired Athlete: James Wick


This week's Apple Inspired Athlete is James Wick     

City: Calgary

What’s your current age group? 30-35 (34 years old)

What is your occupation? Teacher – Grade 6


How long have you been a triathlete? 

Last year I participated in my first triathlon


When was your first Apple?  How many triathlons have you done?  

This year will be my first Apple.  Last year I did 5 triathlons – smaller, local (less intimidating) events.


 What Apple event will you be registering for in 2012? 

Olympic Distance Tri


What got you interested in triathlon? 

I have always been an athlete.  I played three sports in high school and went on to play football in university.  After a career ending injury to my shoulder, I was looking for something to feed my craving for competition.  I started entering mountain bike races and then got into road cycling.  I found that I was putting in a ton of time on my bike and was getting bored of the single activity and training/working out for one activity/sport.  Triathlon forced me to diversify my workouts and keep things fresh and exciting.  It also gave me a reason to get to the gym and continue to work out on a regular basis.  It’s also great because you can always PR and improve in some area of your race.  After my first triathlon last year I was hooked.  I started to look for other races that I could enter.  It was a great time, with great people and I haven’t looked back. 


What positive effects has triathlon had on other aspects of your life? 

It has made me a healthier person.  I have a reason to workout and eat well.  It is great motivation to go to the gym even when I am tired or don’t feel like it.  I know that I will never be an elite triathlete but I like to be competitive and do the best I can - it always feels good to PR, even if it’s just in the swim, bike or run.  I am constantly trying to improve and get into better shape.  Triathlon has been very positive – it has given me more energy, I’m healthier and happier and loving life.  It gives me direction and a focus for staying in shape.


How many hours a week do you train? How do fit it all in?   

Being a new father to my daughter Gray (born Jan. 24, 2012) I have had to re-evaluate how I train and find time to work out.  My priorities have changed completely since the birth of my daughter; however, I still find time to train.  My wife has been amazing and very supportive.  I don’t think that I could race if I didn’t have the support of my wife, she is a critical piece of the puzzle.  Now that we, meaning my daughter, are sleeping better, my wife, Sara, takes the morning shift while I work out and then I try to get home as soon after work as possible so I can relieve her and let her get a workout in.  That is valuable time I get to spend with my daughter.  I would hate to work out while she is awake after I get home from work.  My day usually begins around 5 am.  I get up and walk our two dogs and then it’s either off to the gym, pool, out for a jog, or I jump on my bike.  My bike workouts are done while I commute to work (50km round trip).  I try to swim twice a week, ride into work as much as I can, and jog once or twice a week.  I usually log about 5-8 hours a week depending on how many times Gray wakes up through the night. 


Do you have any specific triathlon goals for 2012?  

I want to continue to PR.  Last year I did sprint races along and tried an Olympic distance tri.  This summer I am going to concentrate on the Oly distance and I want to continue to improve my time and transitions.  I have found that I like the oly distance better than the sprint.  The sprint is a bit short and since the bike is my strongest discipline, it gives me more of an opportunity to be on my bike.  I have worked hard on my running over the winter so I hope that I will be able to shave off some time on the run.  Overall, I just want to have another fun race season.  That is the biggest reason why I race – for the fun of it!


Do you use online training resources or have a training blog? 

I use Beginner Triathlete to log my workouts. I have started a blog Triathlete Dad (http://swimbikerundaddy.blogspot.ca/).  I have just started blogging and only have a few entries.  I want to be an ambassador for the sport and hope others find the fun and joy of triathlon just like I have.


Any other comments you’d like to make?  
I'm looking forward to the Kelowna Apple Triathlon!  Sara, Gray and I are looking to spending some time in Kelowna ahead of the race and we are treating this as a destination race.  I have heard and read great things about the race and can’t wait to experience it firsthand!

No comments:

Post a Comment