Thursday, June 21, 2012

Apple Inspired Athlete: Erik Danielsen


Name:  Erik Danielsen

City:  Kelowna

What’s your current age group?    60-64


What is your occupation? 

Retired teacher.  My informal occupation now is staying fit.

How long have you been a triathlete? 

9 months

When was your first Apple?  

August 2011.  I competed in the Try-A-Tri because I am a terrible swimmer and had some doubts that I could survive a longer swim.  The cool thing about the Try-A-Tri is that you are never far from shore and the water is never very deep (I was always able to touch the bottom).        


What Apple event will you be registering for in 2012?  

Perhaps the Sprint Tri if the stars are aligned correctly (and if a wet suit makes me lighter in the water).

What got you interested in triathlon?

During the past 15 to 20 years I have been doing a lot of biking (both mountain and road).  About 3 years ago I started taking running a bit more seriously, which led me into the world of duathlons.  The logical next step was to conquer swimming and attempt a tri.  Another motivating force is my amazing wife who has competed a number of sprint tris and a couple of half irons.

What positive effects does triathlon have on the rest of your life?

When you participate in triathlons (or other competitive events) you attain a level of fitness which, in turn, leads to a feeling of overall well-being.  I think you tend to become a happier, and more capable and confident human being.  As a bonus you are more likely to spend time with like-minded healthy people.

Do you have any specific triathlon goals for 2012?

My hope is to discover that a wet suit really does make me more buoyant, and makes me able to complete a 750 metre swim.  If that does happen I will make it into the top third of my age group in the Sprint event at the Apple Triathlon this year.

What’s your favourite aspect of the Apple Triathlon?

There are lots of really positive aspects, but the absolutest neatest thing about being involved with this event is being able to hang around with and talk to hundreds of healthy, enthusiastic athletes of all ages, shapes and sizes.  It’s really quite inspirational and motivational.  It makes you think, “When I grow up I want to be just like them!”

Have you ever volunteered at the Apple?

I haven’t yet, but likely will this year IF I don’t compete.

Do you use online training resources or have a training blog?

I do make use of online devices to motivate me and to keep track of my workouts.  My running and biking workouts are recorded on my Garmin and later transferred to Garmin Connect on my computer.  I then log my data onto Daily Mile, a website inhabited by other swimmers/bikers/runners who share their workouts (and experiences) with each other.  It is very beneficial to have this group to share with, to motivate and to be motivated by.  

Any other comments you’d like to make? (training tips, other sports you do etc)

I believe that just about anyone can successfully compete in a triathlon.  All you have to do is be able to run a bit, know how to ride a bike, and be a novice swimmer.  Spend a bit of time training and putting the three together, and there is no reason why you cannot complete a Try-A-Tri.  If you have the desire, time, and discipline to train more yet, then perhaps it is time to consider a Sprint Triathlon.  And so on, and so on,……   

Competing as a triathlete is as much about a motivated state of mind as it is about athletic ability.

No comments:

Post a Comment